Short-term Disability Options

What are my short-term disability options?

You will not receive Temporary Disability (TD) payments from the insurance company if they are contesting their liability. If you pay into state disability, you will be eligible to apply for Short-Term Disability Insurance (Employment Development Department – EDD SDI) if a medical doctor has certified you for these benefits. This doctor does not need to be within the insurance company’s Medical Provider Network (MPN). If you do not pay into the state disability system, you have the option of carrying a private short-term disability insurance policy (typically established before the injury) or you can return to work (subject to certain requirements).